Podcast: Play in new window | Download
From the time I was 8 years-old, I have been fascinated with the DeLorean. My love for the stainless steel car can be traced to when I watched Back To The Future for the first time while visiting my uncle in Rio. Since then I have learned to not only love the car, but the fascinating story behind it.
For today’s episode of the Project Management for the Masses Podcast, I bring you Barrie Wills, whose 50+ years of experience in the auto industry includes being the Director of Product Development & Supply and CEO of the DeLorean Motor Cars.
One of the first podcasts episodes I have ever produced was about the Sydney Opera House, and the contradiction that it stands for: when looking at schedules and budgets, the project was a failure; when looking at its legacy and impact on society, it was a resounding success.
The DeLorean is part of a select group of projects which present us with this conundrum: was it a failure? Or has its convoluted story contributed to it being the iconic automobile which silhouette is recognized around the world?
Let’s talk about that 🙂
When it comes to the DeLorean project, there’s nobody who knows more about it than Barrie Wills, and I’m thrilled at this opportunity to ask him a few questions.
This is a podcast episode. To listen to it, press the “play” button above this post or subscribe to the show in iTunes or Stitcher Radio.
Barrie Wills and the DeLorean
Barrie Wills has over fifty years of experience in the worldwide automobile industry as a direct employee, interim manager or consultant with Jaguar Cars, British Leyland Truck & Bus, Reliant Motor Company, DeLorean Motor Cars Limited, Lotus Cars, Lamborghini Automobili, Land Rover, Timor Putra Nasional, the UK Department of Trade & Industry, Indonesia’s Ministry of Industry, and the European Union.
With DeLorean, Barrie was recruited by founder John Z. DeLorean as director of purchasing. He joined company in mid-October 1978, on the day the earth-movers moved onto the 72-acre site. Barrie created purchasing departments in Belfast and Coventry, and led sourcing of all plant and equipment, components and materials.
He oversaw the work of Lotus, who handled development engineering of the DeLorean car and took on additional material control and parts & service responsibilities in 1980 as director of supplies. Appointed director of product development and supply in October 1981 and later CEO in 1982.
Barrie eventually left company after liquidation of business in mid February 1983 and ‘handing over the keys’ to the auctioneer.
You can buy Barrie’s book, John Z., The DeLorean, And Me, by visiting this page.
Get Project Management for You for Free In Audio Format
You can still get my book Project Management for You in audio format for free when you buy it on Amazon Kindle.
I’m not sure how long until I end this promotion, so take advantage of it right now.
To do so, visit click this link and follow the simple instructions.
Project Management for You continues to be one of the top sellers under the Business/Project Management on Amazon. If you have already purchased it, thank you so much!
CareerAcademy’s Unbelievable Offer
Today’s episode is sponsored by CareerAcademy and their fantastic offer to our PM for the Masses community. This offer is called the Certified Learner Membership through CareerAcademy.
About the Certified Learner Membership:
$29 Annual Membership Fee. With membership, members get:
- FREE Unlimited Access to 1,100+ IT, Cyber Security, Project Management, and Business Skill video courses (Hundreds of hours in training!)
- This includes over 600 Project Management Courses including training for PMP, PMI-ACP, CAPM, and PMI-RMP
- The ability to earn up to 257 PDUs / Contact Hours (PMI REP recognized: Rep # 4058)
- On-demand training, may be accessed at any time, 24/7
- Over 10,000 review questions to assess the member’s understanding of their respective training
- Certificates of Completion provided for proof of successful completion of course issued from both Career Academy and American Business and Technology University
- Immediate access to courses that are newly released or updated
- Full mobile access for training on the go!
- Priority customer support
- These benefits are available to members at no additional cost
Includes the Following Project Management Training:
- Introduction to Project Management (PM101): 21 PDUs
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® Exam Prep: 21 PDUs
- Project Management Professional (PMP)® Exam Prep: 21 PDUs
- Agile Certified Practitioner (ACP)® Exam Prep: 21 PDUs
- Risk Management Professional (RMP)® Exam Prep: 14 PDUs
- Quality Management (PQM01): 7 PDUs
- Risk Management Professional (RMP) Exam Prep: 14 PDUs
- SCRUM Immersion: 14 PDUs
- Quality Management: 7 PDUs
- Scope & Requirements Management: 21 PDUs
- Schedule & Cost Control: 14 PDUs
- Executive Strategy Management: 14 PDUs
- PRINCE2® Foundation: 21 PDUs
- PRINCE2® Practitioner: 38 PDUs
- ITIL® Foundation: 18 PDUs
- Managing Project Teams: 4 PDUs
- Strategic Planning Skills: 4 PDUs
- Project Management Skills for Non- Project Managers