In today’s show I share with you an interview that first aired as part of my other show, the Construction Industry Podcast, a little while ago. In it I spoke with Mr. Jorge de la Guardia, the Contracting Officer for the Design Build contract for the construction of the new set of Locks which is the largest contract in the Expansion Program of the Panama Canal.
The Panama Canal is, according to the American Society of Civil Engineers, one of the 7 wonders of the modern world. It symbolizes a triumph in Engineering, and a tremendous step in setting the stage for the incredible worldwide trade that we see today.
Mr. de la Guardia shared with me the history of the building of the Panama Canal and the extreme challenges that it represented at the time. He also made the case for the current expansion project that is now taking place there in order to increase traffic capacity in this growing global economy.
- Google Earth Images of the Panama Canal
- Panama Canal on Wikipedia
- Panamax Ship Size
- Presentation on Innovations in Navigation Lock Design by Prof. Philippe Rigo University of Liege, Belgium
- Panama Canal Website
- Panama Canal Expansion Camera Feeds
- Panama City: Miraflores Locks Visitor Center on TripAdvisor.com