Before we begin today, would anyone want some water? Coffee? Okay, let’s go around the table and introduce ourselves!
Meetings can be a pain. They can interrupt your work, make you hang out with people you don’t like, accentuate office politics, create tension, and remind everyone how dysfunctional your team can be sometimes.
I however, enjoy meetings! I know it sounds crazy, but when a meeting is planned and conducted the right way, it can be a great opportunity to get things done, make difficult decisions, set priorities, and direct work in a way that will get things done.
So how can you transform your meetings? How can you start looking forward to them?
To answer these and many other questions, I bring back to the show my friend Elizabeth Harrin. I have “met” with Elizabeth a few times as she’s been a recurring guest on the show and I can say this: she is an expert in conducting quick, productive, concise, to-the-point meetings which I look forward to every single time.
Besides, she has created a helpful resource for us wanting to have better meetings: The Meetings Template Kit. We talk about that and more during our conversation, which you can listen to by pressing the play button above.
How To Have Better Meetings with Elizabeth Harrin
Elizabeth Harrin is director of The Otobos Group, a project communications consultancy which helps people tell the story of their projects more effectively. She is the author of Shortcuts to Success: Project Management in the Real World, Social Media for Project Managers and Customer-Centric Project Management. She’s particularly interested in stakeholder engagement and team communications.
Elizabeth also works as a practicing project and program manager. She spent eight years working in financial services (including two based in Paris, France) before moving into healthcare.
Elizabeth writes the blog A Girl’s Guide to Project Management, for which she won the Computer Weekly IT Professional Blogger of the Year award in 2011. She is widely published on project management topics and has contributed to Projectmagazine as well as the websites Projects@Work, ProjectManagement.com and PMTips.net.
Here’s where you can get your copy of the Meeting Template Kit. If you purchase it before March 18th, 2016, you will also get a free copy of Better Networking Skills.
And finally, here are some other free resources from Elizabeth Harrin:
Get Project Management for You for Free In Audio FormatYou can still get my book Project Management for You in audio format for free when you buy it on Amazon Kindle.
I’m not sure how long until I end this promotion, so take advantage of it right now.
To do so, visit click this link and follow the simple instructions.
Project Management for You continues to be one of the top sellers under the Business/Project Management on Amazon. If you have already purchased it, thank you so much!
CareerAcademy’s Unbelievable Offer
Today’s episode is sponsored by CareerAcademy and their fantastic offer to our PM for the Masses community. This offer is called the Certified Learner Membership through CareerAcademy.
$29 Annual Membership Fee. With membership, members get:
- FREE Unlimited Access to 1,100+ IT, Cyber Security, Project Management, and Business Skill video courses (Hundreds of hours in training!)
- This includes over 600 Project Management Courses including training for PMP, PMI-ACP, CAPM, and PMI-RMP
- The ability to earn up to 257 PDUs / Contact Hours (PMI REP recognized: Rep # 4058)
- On-demand training, may be accessed at any time, 24/7
- Over 10,000 review questions to assess the member’s understanding of their respective training
- Certificates of Completion provided for proof of successful completion of course issued from both Career Academy and American Business and Technology University
- Immediate access to courses that are newly released or updated
- Full mobile access for training on the go!
- Priority customer support
- These benefits are available to members at no additional cost
Includes the Following Project Management Training:
- Introduction to Project Management (PM101): 21 PDUs
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® Exam Prep: 21 PDUs
- Project Management Professional (PMP)® Exam Prep: 21 PDUs
- Agile Certified Practitioner (ACP)® Exam Prep: 21 PDUs
- Risk Management Professional (RMP)® Exam Prep: 14 PDUs
- Quality Management (PQM01): 7 PDUs
- Risk Management Professional (RMP) Exam Prep: 14 PDUs
- SCRUM Immersion: 14 PDUs
- Quality Management: 7 PDUs
- Scope & Requirements Management: 21 PDUs
- Schedule & Cost Control: 14 PDUs
- Executive Strategy Management: 14 PDUs
- PRINCE2® Foundation: 21 PDUs
- PRINCE2® Practitioner: 38 PDUs
- ITIL® Foundation: 18 PDUs
- Managing Project Teams: 4 PDUs
- Strategic Planning Skills: 4 PDUs
- Project Management Skills for Non- Project Managers